Breast Augmentation or Augmentation Mammoplasty or Breast Enlargement is a cosmetic surgical procedure that helps in increasing the size of a woman’s breast or restores breast volume, shape & texture. It can be done by breast implants or fat transfer. Breast implants usually enhance or enlarge an existing breast size. It also helps in reconstructing a breast that has been removed as a result of a mastectomy.
Types of Breast Augmentation
There are following two ways of Breast Augmentation Surgery:-
- Breast Implants: – A breast implant is a Breast-shape sack consisting of a fluid or gel-like material. It is implanted behind or in place of a female breast through reconstructive or cosmetic surgery. It changes the size, shape, and contour of a woman’s breast. Moreover, breast implants can restore a natural looking breast for post–mastectomy patients. It also corrects breasts that are unequal because of congenital defects and deformities. There are two types of breast implants: saline and silicone.
- a. Saline Implants: – Filled with sterile salt water. These implants are FDA approved for augmentation in women age 18 or older and provide a uniform shape and firmness. If in case the implant shell leaks, the saline implant will collapse and the saline will be absorbed and naturally expelled by the body.
- b. Silicone Implants: – Filled with silicone gel. These implants are FDA approved for augmentation in women age 22 or older. The gel feels a bit more like natural breast tissues. If the implant leaks, the gel may remain within the implant shell. A leaking implant filled with silicone gel will not collapse.
- Fat Transfer: – Breast Augmentation with Autologous fat transfer usually uses or injects fat taken from other parts of the body through the process of liposuction. However, this option is for those women who prefer or are looking for a relatively small increase in breast size.
Breast Augmentation Cost
In general cost of breast augmentation including implants varies from $2500 to $7000 depending on other factors and one geographic area to another.
You may be a candidate for breast augmentation surgery if:-
- Breasts are sagging
- Improve your body image
- Your breasts are too small
- Breasts are different in size
- Breasts are different in shape
- Make you look better in clothes
- You want to increase self-esteem and confidence.
- Want to restore lost size that occurs from breast feeding or weight loss
- For reconstructive purpose or breast reconstruction due to breast cancer
Breast Augmentation Procedure
As the breasts can continue to develop until a woman reaches her early 20s or late teens, the FDA requires that women should be at least 18 years old to get the breast augmentation surgery with saline breast implants and at least 22 years old to receive silicone breast implants.
In breast augmentation using implants, your surgeon gives you anesthesia and makes an incision, lifts the breast tissue, creates a pocket in the breast area and breast implants will then place under it. The surgeon will then close the incisions with stitches, or sutures, after the assurance of proper implant placement.
An additional option for breast augmentation is fat transfer, a process in which your surgeon removes your own fat, from a fat-yielding body part (such as your abdomen, thighs, or flanks) using liposuction procedure, processes it and then injects it into your breast pocket.
Aesthetic Improvement: – Breast Augmentation surgery with implantation, enlarges breast size and enhances a woman’s figure and improves body contour. It adds curves and enhancement to the body’s profile for an appearance that is more conventionally attractive. It also improves the shape and restores breast or breast size due to small size or mastectomy. If the size of a woman’s breast is unequal, then a single breast implant can make the breasts more symmetric and attractiveness.
Increased Confidence: – Inadequacy and low level of confidence level are common factors when a woman feels that the size of her breasts is small. These feelings can be eliminated after having a successful breast augmentation surgery that adds youthful contours to the breasts and enhances the overall appearance of the body. Breast Augmentation surgery helps in regaining the self-confidence.
Post Mastectomy Option: – The removal of one or both breasts for cancer treatment, can be traumatic for many women. Women choose to undergo breast augmentation surgery, to achieve the most natural look and also to regain the bust line they had before cancer or mastectomy.
Possible breast augmentation surgery risks include:
- Anesthesia risk
- Scarring of the skin
- Pain, which may persist
- Implant rupture or leakage
- Fluid accumulation (seroma)
- Possibility of revisional surgery
- Changes in breast sensation or nipple
- Wrinkling of the skin over the implant